The definition of naturism according to the INF (International Naturist Federation):
" Naturism is a way of living in harmony with nature, characterized by the practice of nudity in common, which aims to promote respect for self, respect for others and care for the environment. "
We used as a reference the Narturism Etiquette as described in the FQN website (Fédération Québécoise de Naturisme = Quebec Federation of Naturism), but more specifically adapted to clothing optional beaches and the particular context of Cuba.
First, it's important to always bear in mind that naturism in Cuba is "tolerated" and not "officially" allowed, hence the importance of adopting an appropriate behavior in order to preserve this precious privilege, and for naturists to continue to represent a loyal and trouble free clientele.
- The same general rules should apply here as to any other beaches. Politeness and respecting the rights of others are in order.
- It's impolite to fix intensely. There's nothing wrong with looking, but avoid starring, especially with binoculars, smartphones or cameras!.
- For hygienic reasons, ALWAYS use a towel to sit on chairs, loungers or watercrafts.
- Respect the environment. Stay away from the dunes or any other environmentally sensitive areas. We may lose access to these beaches if we harm the environment.
- Help keep the place clean. Bring a bag to collect your garbage. Leave the beach cleaner than it was on your arrival.
- Get dressed before leaving the naturist zone. The purpose of naturism is not to offend others; exhibitionists should choose another type of destination. There are no services on the naturist beaches in Cuba, you have to dress up to go to the beach bars or restaurants.
- Ask people for their permission before taking photos, and note that it's not polite to take a general view of a naturist beach when people are present.
- Respect people's privacy. Many come to enjoy nature and don't want to be disturbed or to socialize. There's nothing wrong with adopting a friendly attitude, but be attentive to the reactions and body language of others.
- If you see people who violate the acceptable standards, please explain clearly and politely how they violate the rules of acceptable behavior. Because the beaches are "clothing optional", it's important to maintain a peaceful and respectful coexistence between naturists and non-naturists to avoid complains.
If you have any comments about naturism in Cuba, please contact us by email. We will be happy to answer your questions.
Note that since the spring 2014, Cuban Immigration systematically stamps all passports when entering and leaving the country. And also: Since May 1st, 2015, the Cuban Departure Tax is no longer paid at destination. It should now be included in the price of your trip when buying a flight-only or vacation-package to Cuba.
In October 2013 the Cuban Government announced its intention to eliminate their dual currency system (CUC and CUP). To the best of our knowledge, it seems like no schedule has been officially announced yet for this plan to eliminate the CUC and revalue the CUP; and so far (2016) there's no indication yet about when the CUC will be put out of circulation.
Visit our website that chronicles the announcements and events related to The Cuban Thaw (the warming of USA-Cuba relations) which started in late 2014.
Lily & Normand
Lily & Normand